How Bad Can Smoking in My Masury Home Be?
Cigarette-related home fires are a common cause of house fires, especially in the winter time. According to the National Fire Protection Association (NFPA), smoking materials such as cigarettes, cigars, and pipes are the leading cause of home fire deaths in the United States.
Here are some tips to help prevent cigarette-related home fires:
- Never smoke in bed or when you are feeling drowsy.
- Use sturdy ashtrays that won’t tip over and make sure they are placed on a stable surface.
- Always ensure that cigarettes are fully extinguished before disposing of them.
- Keep cigarettes, lighters, and matches out of reach of children.
- Never smoke in a home where medical oxygen is being used.
- If you are a smoker, consider smoking outside and away from your home, especially if you are feeling tired or under the influence of alcohol or drugs.
By following these tips, you can greatly reduce the risk of a cigarette-related home fire. Additionally, it’s important to have working smoke alarms installed throughout your home and to regularly check and replace their batteries to ensure they are functioning properly.
If you or someone you know faces fire damage to their home that’s related to cigarettes, call SERVPRO of Trumbull and Ashtabula Counties at (330)-392-6355 for immediate assistance. Please visit our website for more information!