Hoarding: We’re Here to Help!
Compulsive hoarding or a hoarding disorder is a persistent difficulty discarding or parting with possessions because of a perceived need to save them. A person with a hoarding disorder experiences distress at the thought of getting rid of the item. Therefore, the person holds on to items regardless of their actual value and excessive accumulation occurs. Hoarding can range in severity and can lead to cramped living conditions. Depending on the severity, the house may be filled to capacity with piles upon piles in hallways, on countertops, stoves, desks, virtually any available space.
People with a hoarding disorder usually need to seek medical counsel prior to seeking a fresh start. If you decide to help a loved one, here are a few tips:
- Start by taking pictures throughout the entire house
- You will need personal protection equipment such as disposable gloves, dust masks/ respirator, steel toe boots, hard hat, and goggles to avoid exposure to mold, parasites, and other health concerns that may be present. Cleaning and disinfecting supplies, contractor garbage bags, sponges, mops, brooms, and ladders.
If the house contains biohazardous waste, it is best to call a professional cleaning company. Biohazardous waste cannot be cleaned with normal cleaning supplies.
- The first room to be cleaned should be the bathroom because you will need a sink and running water.
- Next, separate the trash from the salvageable items. Once that is completed, separate the salvageable items into items you will keep and ones to be donated.
- Finally, you can begin the clean and sanitizing process.
- If you’re loved one will be returning to the home, be sure to provide constant support to keep a healthy and clean-living space.
If you would like further information regarding hoarding and treatment options there are many resources available.
SERVPRO of Southern Trumbull County specializes in the cleanup and restoration of residential and commercial property. We will work discreetly with you and your family. We are trained to adhere to the highest cleaning and sanitization standards, making us the #1 choice for cleanup and restoration. Call today! (330) 392-6355